National Poetry Month 2020 Day 21: “What Are Heavy?” & “Buoyed Up”

Today’s poems deal with heaviness and lightness, the fleeting nature of life, the flow of the tides, and the depth
of truth. Isn’t it incredible what can be expressed by so few words?

What Are Heavy?
by Christina Rossetti

What are heavy? Sea-sand and sorrow:
What are brief? Today and tomorrow:
What are frail? Spring blossoms and youth:
What are deep? The ocean and the truth.

I wrote this poem 20 years ago, and it still rings true for me. 

Buoyed Up
by Blythe Stephens
I want to swim
Fast and far
In clear water
Buoyed up by something
More powerful than myself
Push my limits
I want to make something of my voice
Tell my story
Begging to be known
Hew straight for the core
No obliquely hemming and hawing
Bypass the fear that it’s been told before
(It’s all been said, but no matter)
Recounting, no, counting
Events of my splendid existence
And it is splendid indeed
There is much yet to show- by me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Introduction to Germany and Move to Cologne, part 1

National Poetry Month 2020 Day 22: Innocence & Impulse

Haiku 2021 Part 52, #360-5