National Poetry Month 2020 Day 1: “Revelation” & "Pointe Shoes"



The United States and Canada celebrate National Poetry month in April, and I really enjoy the
tradition, so will be keeping it alive this month from Germany. Each day, I will be reading and
writing poetry, and I’d like to share some of my favorite poems by other authors as well as be
very vulnerable and share some of my own. I hope it will encourage you to engage in your own
relationship with poetry. It’s really needed at this time and always. 


Sound good? Cool, here we go. 


The first poem I’ll share is from Robert Frost, who I particularly adored back in high school, ahem, a few years ago:


Revelation
By Robert Frost


We make ourselves a place apart
Behind light words that tease and flout,
But oh, the agitated heart
Till someone find us really out.


‘Tis pity if the case requires
(Or so we say) that in the end
We speak the literal to inspire
The understanding of a friend.


But so with all, from babes that play
At hide-and seek to God afar,
So all who hide too well away
Must speak and tell us where they are.



This one is my own, written not long ago during my teaching credential:
Pointe Shoes
By Blythe Stephens


For me it was pairs of pointe shoes,
which fueled my teen ballerina life.
Objects requiring my talent and passion
Doors to other dimensions, to taking flight.
I traveled far on a quest to understand,
Sought masters of the art.
Strived and rose and sunk and soared,
Endeavoring to play the part.
They brought me great adventures,
Purposefully driving along my path.
May I continue to dance all of my days,
And may you find the shoes of your craft.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

National Poetry Month 2020 Day 17: “In Praise of Craziness, of a Certain Kind” & “School for Fools”

My Introduction to Germany and Move to Cologne, part 1

National Poetry Month 2020 Day 22: Innocence & Impulse