National Poetry Month 2020 Day 13: “Doubtless” & “What would it be like?”

I love “Doubtless” as inspiration to be my imperfect, unusual, wild self in the face of fear and
outright resistance. I first became acquainted with it in the wonderful book “Hip Hop Speaks to
Children” compiled by Nikki Grimes and there are vocal tracks available as well, such as this one:
https://soundcloud.com/dphillip4-1/doubtless-by-steve-ericson-1 It made for a wonderful
choreographic collaboration with my 6-8th grade students in the Dole Middle School Dance Crew
(the messy notes for this are the image for today’s post) and I hope they took it’s message to heart.
Doubtless
By Steve Ericson

When I was seven,
I looked to heaven
And dreamed
Of going to the moon
But pretty soon
Somebody came along
To change my tune.
They put me down.
Bang! There my dreams lay 
On the ground.
Thank God, eventually
I came around
And dreamed another dream.

At first it seemed
A good idea to hide it,
Confide it
To absolutely no one.
But that was no fun,
Besides, I realized
I couldn’t. They joy it gave me
Just wouldn’t
Be stopped up. It popped up
At the most
Inconvenient times,
Effervesced in all my rhymes.

But, hey! Joy
Is not a crime, though
Some people 
Make it seem so.
Does anybody here know 
what I mean?
You share your dream
And right away
People laugh, 
Try to dissuade you, 
Do what they can to
Plant a seed of doubt.
Listen: you’ve got to
Root it out,
Laugh last, push past,
Pursue. Be you--
Whoever that is--
Dream intact.
And don’t look back.
Don’t look back.
Don’t look back.
And if you move, 
Remember:
Pack your dreams.
They’re portable. 

Do you ever wonder what it would be like to be totally, arrestingly beautiful? I imagine it would
have advantages as well as challenges. As a younger person it had more appeal to me, like a
special power, while now I realize we all have many talents and powers so I am less fixated on
appearance. 

What would it be like? (to be the most beautiful woman in the world)
By Blythe Stephens
“Three EIGHTY,” he said. “Do you have eighty cents?”
“There are four dollars there,” I replied.
“Oh…OOPS!” He squirms. “Sorry,” and hands over two dimes.
I never do get very good service.
Everyone who serves me seems distracted.
Nobody has it quite together around me.
Arrested by some mysterious power.
Trailing behind me
Ribbons of self
That skim and tickle
All those who glimpse me,
Leaving an indelible mark.
I am an image that they deem worthy of attention
And desire to replicate.
“What is it about her?” they ask themselves.
What is so remarkable?
So unforgettable?
Everyone wants a piece of this loveliness,
But is intimidated.
Rapt.
Just a tiny savory taste
That lingers on the tongue.
Radiant.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Introduction to Germany and Move to Cologne, part 1

National Poetry Month 2020 Day 22: Innocence & Impulse

Haiku 2021 Part 40, #276-82