National Poetry Month 2020 Day 6: “Happy” & “Paperclips”


I was introduced to Michelle Tea in college and I liked her gritty, modern, real-world approach. Until then, most of the poetry I read was specifically for children or very traditional. Beautiful, insightful, but a bit fanciful. Here was a fresh voice, using language to describe city life and coming of age and stark reality.

Happy
By Michelle Tea

I love this city
Too many girls smile at me when I walk
Down the street and there goes a jogger
Wearing nothing but skimpy shorts 2 nipple rings
And a smile and what about the one
In the castro who only ever wears a g-string,
All that skin and never any bruises,
It’s as if people just leave him alone,
Let him live his life with his ass hanging out.
I love this city
Everything you need you can buy on the sidewalk
In the mission, that is, until the cops started coming
By and handing out fines and if these guys could afford to pay a fine they probably wouldn’t be trying to sell you a 
Set of cookware for seventy-five cents
But I guess that hasn’t occurred to the cops, 
Or the mayor, who used to be a cop and
Once a cop always a cop, or so they say
But I love this city
Every single night of the week I can find a café
To drink cups of bad poetry in, and they don’t
Look at me weird when I ask for soy milk,
Or if the oat cakes are vegan,
It’s a pretty flaky place
Dangerous, too
I’ll probably leave soon because I’m getting really; tired of watching my back and listening to stories about those who let their eyes wander
But right now it’s sunny,
And I was just walking down market street 
Getting smiled at by girls and giving all my change away
To punk rock kids who need to take a bus somewhere
Or drink some beer or eat a hamburger
I don’t know, I’m just glad I could help out,
I’m just glad I’m 22 and far away from my parents, 
I’m just glad I’m alive,
And I mean that 
In the most dramatic and cliché way possible,
I just love this city.


Sometimes growing up can be a very disorienting business.
Beautiful, but messy and confusing and difficult, too.

Paperclips
By Blythe Stephens

I sit, with smoothie
Lost
Caught
Desperately searching for I don’t know what
Why hadn’t I seen this coming
Tempted
Intrigued
Sorting colors
Of paperclips
Linking them together
Trying to sort and link
The events of my life
Heart pounding
Disarray
Nothing happened
But something happened
“We can just forget this conversation ever happened”
she says, but I know
there is no way I can ever forget
It is done
I am undone
No amount of paperclip organization 
Will put what I knew 
And what I must do
back together

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Introduction to Germany and Move to Cologne, part 1

National Poetry Month 2020 Day 22: Innocence & Impulse

Haiku 2021 Part 40, #276-82