National Poetry Month 2020 Day 7: “Praise” & “What is My Body?”

[p.c. Lise Blackford]
Sometimes poetry is an outlet for strong emotion, a way to process trying times, a coping skill for the traumas of life.
Other times it is a place to celebrate pure joy, to count our blessings, to revel in gratitude. 

Praise
By Rainer Maria Rilke

O tell us, poet, what do you do?--I praise.
But those dark, deadly, devastating ways,
How do you bear them, suffer them?--I praise.
And then the Nameless, beyond guess or gaze,
How do you call it, conjure it?--I praise.
And whence your right, in every kind of maze,
In every mask, to remain true?--I praise.
And that the mildest and the wildest ways
Know you like a star and storm?--Because,
I praise.


In the spirit of praise, I meditate on my own body in the following work-in-progress. Started years
ago, I like to re-visit it and see how my perception has evolved.


What is my body?
By Blythe Stephens

An instrument of expression
Beautiful movement language
A tool I use
And you too
For pleasure and warmth and truth
An attractive force
Decoration, Manipulation, 
Exploration
It walks, skips, dances, leaps,
Rides, catches the tides
Climbs, curls
Embraces, ever closer…
Senses delight and pain
Exudes myself, irrepressibly
Smiles, speaks, kisses
Peers and yearns
Reaches, clutches
Draws in, Presses out
Expresses
Impresses
Dresses
Then passes on
It’s been a week of poetry on my blog, both my own and that of my favorite authors. How are you enjoying
National Poetry Month, what are you doing to celebrate. If you’re reading this, I would appreciate knowing
what you think. Let me know in the comments or by DM on social media!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Introduction to Germany and Move to Cologne, part 1

National Poetry Month 2020 Day 22: Innocence & Impulse

Haiku 2021 Part 52, #360-5