National Poetry Month 2020 Day 16: “The Scarlatti Tilt” & “Free Year”

Free Violin Wallpaper 34036 1680x1050px

I love how poetry can say so much with so few words, and so I got a couple of quickies
for you today. My Dad kindly gifted me a couple of his collections of Richard Brautigan’s
poetry from the 60s, “Revenge of the Lawn” and “Trout Fishing in America,” and I enjoyed
their prosey and sometimes absurd lines in my youth (and now!). 


The Scarlatti Tilt
By Richard Brautigan


“It’s very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who is learning to play the
violin.” That’s what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.  


In 2018, when I thought I was turning 37, it was actually my 36th birthday. I even told a friend,
wrongly, how old I would be turning the next day and had to then correct myself, having done
the non-complicated arithmetic. You see, my ex-wife and I were 1.5 years apart in age so starting
with her birthday each December, she’d start rounding-up my age (“you’re almost 36!”) so she
seemed to be only one year older than I, rather than apparently 2 years older during that 6-month
period. Once that idea got in my head I longer knew how old I in fact was! Further, when she left
me later that year, I truly was free in every sense, and though it was a gift I had not wanted or
asked for, it turned out to be a present nonetheless. 


Free Year
By Blythe Stephens


I’ve got a free year 
Back to the wild
Brazen and steely
No longer mild
Terrified, surely
Still dreaming dreams
Confronted by possibility 
Ripped open at the seams

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Introduction to Germany and Move to Cologne, part 1

National Poetry Month 2020 Day 22: Innocence & Impulse

Haiku 2021 Part 40, #276-82