Announcing "Balletlicious with Blythe" YouTube Video Series, first installment "Ankle ABCs"

Balletlicious with Blythe Ankle ABCs

DISCLAIMER: Although the exercises I recommend are suitable for dancers at a beginning through
advanced level, and I do my best to keep things moderate and safe, please consult your healthcare
practitioner before beginning any health or fitness regimen!

The reason why I am creating this video series is that I am often asked “what can I do in-between
classes to strengthen and stretch my body for ballet?” I also frequently hear that people have waited
to start a class until they felt somehow fit enough to present themselves, as if they need to prepare for
the class itself. With my classes, this is not the case as I provide appropriate accommodation for
different levels of experience and physical states, but I understand the feeling. It makes me sad that
sometimes people wait years or never start because they don’t feel ready. Also, it can be tough to
feel “fit enough” even when we do attend a weekly course, especially if we must occasionally miss
class due to illness, work, or family life. 

As I build my own healthy habits, I am finding that the best method is to start very small, build
consistency, and then perhaps add on, using that momentum and sense of accomplishment. I’ve
benefited greatly from the book Atomic Habits as well as tools from my life coaching training and
reading about self-development. In the last few years I worked toward a daily yoga practice, starting
with at least 5 minutes a few times a week and now at daily (many days, 30-90 minutes or more). I
really enjoy the Yoga with Adriene YouTube channel, and loosely followed her monthly plans to keep
on track, in addition to the classes I attend in-person at my local studio. What I noticed is that I am
most successful at practicing consistently at least 5-15 minutes a day, focusing on specific areas of
the body or themes that are relevant to me that particular day, and that once I was doing so regularly,
it became easier to add in more. 

So, I would like to offer a similarly motivating program through Balletlicious with Blythe (thanks to my
friend, mentor, and former student Lurana for that name!), with “Bite-Sized Ballet” practices for all
levels of student that can be practiced in a small amount of space at home, in a hotel room, or
possibly even on an office break. Each session will focus on quickly developing strength, flexibility, or
coordination that will serve you in ballet or dance class, athletics, and in your life overall. With daily
practice, you will start to identify as a dancer, you’ll feel at-home in the studio and on stage, and you’ll
prevent common injuries and feel more graceful. 

I’ve started by recording one of my favorite standbys for developing both strength and flexibility in the
feet, ankles, and lower legs, “Ankle ABCs.” This exercise really creates a burn in the shins and ankles,
as well as the supporting core musculature- very important for ballet! It also utilizes the imagination as
we visualize creating beautiful calligraphy letters with our toes and feet, and it can also support breath
control and creativity if you sing along. As I work to learn the German alphabet and to remember the
French one, it’s a good pronunciation practice for me as well! That’s a lot packed into just a few
minutes of your day, and if you follow this practice daily (or even a few times a week), you’ll notice
results in your dancing!

Stay tuned for exercises that support all areas of ballet practice, and thanks for joining me. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Introduction to Germany and Move to Cologne, part 1

National Poetry Month 2020 Day 22: Innocence & Impulse

Haiku 2021 Part 52, #360-5