Fall Refresh & "Back to School"

I have always loved Back to School. After a nice relaxing summer holiday of sunshine, reading,
artistic input, inspiration, and travel, having taken time to reflect and assess my goals, I look
ahead to a productive autumn leading into celebratory holidays and a fresh new year! Reflection
is an important part of my process to ready myself for the coming season, and I enjoy checking in
at least several times each year: at the New Year, my birthday (conveniently 6 months later), and
then in August/September before the final push. 

Having completed my teaching credentials in secondary education/dance and English this spring,
and moved abroad this summer, this fall I go back to school for the German language as part of my
assimilation effort here in Cologne. Of course, I’m always studying many topics and taking steps on
various projects. This Autumn, I’m also back to my blog, and the goal is to check-in here once a week,
more for myself than public consumption, although it helps with my accountability to put my ideas “out
there” somewhere, rather than keeping them “in here.” That said, I am going more for information than
for polished presentation, but if you find and enjoy the ideas I share here, you’re more than welcome to
follow along!

This year's declared theme for me has been FLOW and I’ve certainly been developing that quality,
embracing that part of my identity, my faith that things will work out as long as I keep directing my
energy towards what I value and stand for, and taking steps forward. Standing in my Essence, I can
adapt to changing conditions, embrace change, and make progress towards my ideal life. I have had
to dig deep for the strength and tools to cope with the changes of the last 18 months, and I’m happy
to have been so well-equipped for the challenges I face. 

Some new habits that I decided to practice this year in service to my personal growth, mental health,
intellectual development, educational and professional advancement were Yoga Practice, Meditation,
Gratitude, German, Journal, Read, Write, Physical Therapy, Love Notes, & Focus (pomodoro for
reading and writing). In instituting these small habits and working to build consistency, I’ve found
accountability helpful, including using habit trackers (both hard-copy, and digital) and social media
(for example, I shared my 30-day MinsGame on IG).

These habits support my larger projects and plans:
being a leader in dance education, maintaining strength and well-being to dance and teach via
physical therapy, spiritual growth through yoga and meditation practice, creativity and sharing
my voice through writing and choreography, and fostering intentional relationships. Each of
these will be the topics of upcoming blogs, where I’ll share what I’ve learned and how I have
grown this year:  

  • Leader in Dance Education: UHM PBCSE in Dance, TESOL, directed “Dancing the Silver
Screen,” starting positions teaching in Cologne, staying up-to-date on publications like JoDE, following
current trends on YouTube and elsewhere, sharing what I know in-person and online


  • Physical Conditioning to perform as a dance educator: Physical Therapy, yoga, sleep
  • Spiritual Growth: Yoga & Meditation: daily meditation using Calm app or other, daily yoga with
Adriene or other, Yoga Loft


  • Creativity: journal, morning pages, write blog, write poems, choreography
  • Intellectual and Professional Growth: reading PBCSE texts on education and psychology, fiction
and nonfiction, self-help, historical research (pirates), The Rewind Files, Atomic Habits... (more on
reading to come, can follow me on GoodReads also)


  • Assimilation to German Culture: A1.1 Course starts next week! Talking to people, watching
movies and TV, reading, listening to the radio...


  • Loving Intentional Relationships: Love Notes, celebrations, conscious communication, travel


This year my life has been enriched by my professional accomplishments, travel, moving to
Germany, navigating bureaucratic processes, starting to learn a new language and culture,
falling in love, making new friends and professional contacts, I’ve expanded what I believe is
possible for my life and overcome overwhelming obstacles. I’ve experienced so many changes
and emotions, but through it all have focused on enjoying this precious life.

I have so many fun things to look forward to the fall, including this weekend’s family bicycle tour,
my first anniversary with Ela, my friend Brandon’s the conductor’s concert in Cologne, picking
up my belongings (which I shipped) and visiting a dear friend in Wiesbaden, a roaring 20’s party,
friends visiting for Christmas markets, and hopefully visits to Berlin, London, other European cities.

As nice as it would be to get positive input and feel supported in this community, just putting
the words down and making declarations here supports my accountability and creativity even
if no one ever reads this. It’s a win-win! If you want to tell me about your Fall projects, goals,
and habits, I’d love to hear how you’ll be making the most of this special time of year!

Happy Autumn.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Introduction to Germany and Move to Cologne, part 1

National Poetry Month 2020 Day 22: Innocence & Impulse

Pointe Shoes Poem