2018 New Year's Updates and Inspiration

Stand/Theme/Keyword for 2018: VISION
(2016: Connection & 2017: Service)


By "Vision," I mean trusting what I see and perceive, through my senses, intellect, and intuition.
Relying on my judgement and input from other trusted sources, gaining perspective to see
underlying truths and act in accordance with the greater good. Seeing what is possible in
dance and education and empowering others to expand their own capacities. Creative
contributions and problem-solving.


With an annual stand or theme rather than a list of resolutions, I create not a fix or changes,
but a place to come from for the year, asserted on a daily basis. It aligns with my values and
is a litmus test for my priorities and activities during the year. Then I revisit my projects and take
on what is in alignment with my Vision, update my commitments and timelines.


In 2017 I celebrated many accomplishments, including my second semester of teaching
DNCE:131 Beginning Modern Dance at WCC, yoga at Dole MS, & after-school Dance at DMS,
continued teaching at ITG, and my first semester teaching at Kaiser HS and Ka'ewai ES.

Choreographed 14+ dances
Re-injured knee, Started over with Physical Therapy
Journaling and Weekly Wins, developed morning ritual
Minimalism journey continued
Applied for several positions, kept up CV, Bio, Website, Business Cards
Trips to Maui, Big Island, Washington, California, Arizona, the UK and Ireland
Training in Google Tools, Apple Sessions, Hip Hop in Education,
Online Discussions, Universal Design for Learning
Service to the AIDS Walk, Planned Parenthood Gala, International Equality March
Airbnb hosting
Close friends, Kitten “Rufio”, chickens, and guppies completed our urban farm
Mowgli turned 8
4 happy years of marriage!
Many friends and family having babies and getting pregnant :)
New car(s): temporary Miata, “Musubi” and permanent Mazda 3, “Nai’a”
Lots of hiking, Art After Dark, Polo watching at the beach, Football fandom
Feminist Snack Break, Backtalk and other favorite podcasts (Optimal Living Daily,
The Minimalists, Wardrobe Crisis, Taking Note…) and blogs/vlogs
Social media and news, activism


In 2018 I will develop my Vision through the practice of yoga (every day this year so far!),
journaling, choreography, and professional development. I am already aware of my
Essence, Values, and Mission in life, now I have the opportunity to dive into my Vision
for the present and future, including growing my teaching, artistic practice, leadership,
personal life, and relationships.


Part of developing my professional vision is embarking on UH Manoa Institute for Teaching
Excellence’s Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Secondary Education (PBCSE) Program,
developing leadership as a dance educator, providing structure and feedback for
development as an educator, & preparing me for what is next whether that be a secondary
teaching position or other leadership roles such as arts and/or educational administration.
Also, I will have an office again.


Ongoing teaching experiences teaching include The Movement Center, Kaiser HS,
Dole MS, Ka'ewai and Kalihi Waena ES, and guest teaching elsewhere. Lots of choreography
and performance for students, collaboration, educating the whole person, cultivating initiative
and empowerment.


Maintaining inspiration through enriching experiences, time off, alone time to reflect and
read, try out new ideas. Continue getting out into nature by hiking and going to the beach,
time with wife and dog. Going out on dates together, movie nights. Care for mini-farm of
kitten, chickens, guppies, and garden. Healthy meals and snacks. 2-3 bottles of water per
day. Family dinners and BBQ get-togethers, games.


Adventures exploring local, inter-island, national, and international destinations. Travel to
see friends and family, see beautiful cities, art works, culture, food, animals, nature.


Will see what other adventures my Vision inspires this year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Introduction to Germany and Move to Cologne, part 1

National Poetry Month 2020 Day 22: Innocence & Impulse

Pointe Shoes Poem